Thursday, February 10, 2005

Free search tool

This is a bit off-topic but interesting to me nonetheless. I get a few online geek digests to know what is current for my computer, and yesterday one mentioned a spyware-free piece of freeware from Answers.com . It's called 1-Click, and with over 1 million topics it's apparently good enough for Google to use as its main reference, replacing dictionary.com. The website describes it at a combination encyclopedia/search engine on steroids. While you can use the webpage for searches, the cool thing about the freeware plugin (available for both PC and Mac) is that you can hit ALT and click on any world. I tested it for both escrima and silat and got some pretty cool descriptions courtesy of Wikipedia.com. I've tried other word-click definition searches before and quickly uninstalled them. This one looks like it might be around a bit longer ....

No comments: